Monday, March 24, 2014

Happiness survey + a bad week

A week or so ago, my post about happiness and distraction referenced data gathered via a "happiness app." Turns out the app is not designed to make you happy, but is a twice-a-day survey notification sent by phone. Although you are not supposed to answer questions while driving, the message that "you have a survey to complete"stops me in my tracks, even if I am headed out to work or about to make a phone call.

I have had a run of bad luck in the past week; no one is sick or homeless, but my car is dead (transmission gone), my beloved manager fired, and my favorite laying hen eaten by one of my own dogs. As I answer these survey questions, I wonder how my happiness results would differ on a good, or better yet, a normal week. In other words, how closely are my feelings tied to my current situation?

So far, it seems that I feel the best outdoors, talking to one person, and when I'm not at home or at work. I have completed 44% of my surveys, at the end of which I receive a happiness report, which comes with this disclaimer (among others):
Your report is based on a random sample of moments, over a specific period of time. Any conclusions you might draw should be tentative. If you’d reported on different moments, or done it a month earlier or later, you might see different results.
I am curious to see the report, and am hoping that this week's results make up for last week's. Until then, I plan to be outside talking to one person as much as possible.






No comments:

Post a Comment